Thursday, May 14, 2015

How Can I Repair My Water Damaged Ceiling?

"A leak in our attic caused the paint on the ceiling below to bubble."
Alisa, via Facebook

Bubbles indicate that water may have damaged the drywall, says Tom Pawlowski, a building contractor in New York City. To repair it, start by scraping off the loose paint with a metal putty knife. (If this step reveals large holes or mushy material, call in a pro. But if you're faced with just a bit of flaking, keep going.) Smooth the surface of the ceiling with 120-grit sandpaper, then apply a coat of oil-based primer and let dry for 1 to 2 hours. Next, apply a thin layer of Spackle with a metal knife, let it dry (this could take up to 24 hours, depending on size), then sand the area thoroughly. Repeat the spackling process. When the surface is nice and smooth, apply primer and then repaint.


Related Articles :





2 comments:

  1. I'm glad to read this because I was starting to worry that I would need a new roof. I didn't think that the bubbling that I was noticing would mean a whole new roof but until I read your post, I was thinking it was a chance. Granted, until I take a knife to it like you say, I won't know the extent of it.

    Nathan Riley @ Steemer Atlanta

    ReplyDelete
  2. Double check and make sure all the leaks have been fixed. If there is still water coming out, then the drywall is going to get damaged again. That means you have to do more fixing. Roof leaks, in particular, occur when nail holes are enlarged due to cold weather expanding ice. When the first hole is fixed, make sure a spot check is performed around the roof to ensure no other holes are remaining.

    Gregg Hogan @ American Basement Solutions

    ReplyDelete